It is the last day of the year today and looking back and saying goodbye to 2014, I am attempting to recap it by revisiting some of my tweets from the year and finding a place for them here on my blog.
I signed up for Twitter earlier this year, a few months before I started this blog and in the process of experimenting and sharing bits of my writing there, I found myself developing an increasing appreciation for the succinctness that the medium imposes- a 140 character limit per tweet to put your point across.
I welcomed the challenge of writing within the confines of this framework and found that I quite liked the process of condensing and distilling my words to fit into a tweet or two.
In fond reminiscence, here are some themes that I explored and attempted to write pithy bits about:
Truth and the Intangibles
greatest when told to our own selves
sacred when committed to silently
irrevocable when affirmed by action
irrefutable when risked all for.
- Intangible –
where thoughts linger
where dreams take flight
where the heart feels
where the soul knows.
- That moment in life when you learn to take yourself out of the equation and see the truth for what it is.
- That moment of utter honest acceptance of life and relinquishing of all illusions of control. That realization of self-agency.
- ‘Silence’ could mean any of these- an expression of solidarity, a call for action, a cry for help. Take your pick and if you care to act, do so.
- Apathy, cowardice or inaction- is one necessarily worse than the other?
- Whether we like it or not, our silence speaks for us. It is then, in our interest to ensure that it conveys what we want to express.
Love and Kinship
an ode to your highest ideal self
a compassionate kinship to the ‘not so great’ parts of you,
an overwhelming desire for your well being.
- You –
a beacon, a lighthouse
to my deepest sense of self.
Am I adrift
or is it our lives that are
- Who are we
stripped away of all facades-
the many layers of personas that we adorn?
I am called by many names,
prefixes and suffixes,
each one clamoring to claim
a bit of my soul-
the core that remains
is a heart – pure,
free from malice, artifice or duplicity;
where I feel understood and accepted.
is that mutual regard
where we rejoice in kinship
surrounded by love and goodwill,
laughter and joy.
is where I found you.
- Understanding and empathy are fine sentiments but cannot match the searing compassion you feel when you live through another person’s pain.
is a vast ocean
that I swam across
yet never reached the shore
because every step on land
turned into depths of water,
is the pause –
before joy –
asking of me
if I dare tread
strewn with pain-
and now mine.
is a burden gladly borne-
lighter than banal apathy
lighter than stoic indifference
lighter than heaving egoism
lighter than dreary inaction
-painful,yet gladly borne.
a quiet commitment to a sacred truth
a steadfast devotion to a lost cause
a sense of gratitude for seeming existence
a willingness to accept responsibility
an avowal to do right.
That was my roundup of some moments from the recent past, here’s to looking forward to the coming ‘todays’ and to living with ‘presence’ in the present.
Happy New Year to all!