A couple of days back, I was pleasantly surprised by a wonderful gesture from a fellow blogger Veena (thinkdowrite.wordpress.com) who informed me that she had tagged me for the ‘Liebster’ (a sort of Q&A ice-breaker in the blogging community and a means to recognize and encourage new bloggers).
Thank you Veena– I am honored! I appreciate your reaching out to me from across the blogosphere. I have enjoyed visiting your blog, reading your prolific writing and seeing the vivid pictures of your travel and DIY projects. I especially liked the paper quilling projects that you did. Keep up the good work!
In the spirit of this endearing award, here is my response-
My answers to the questions Veena asked me:
1. What inspired you to start blogging?
A love of reading and writing, and a growing appreciation of some wonderful blogs that I have followed over the years.
2. Share with us your happiest blogging experience.
Signing up for a WordPress account- it was the first concrete step towards setting up my blog. I am glad I took it !
3. What is the one thing you love the most about blogging?
That it is an accessible and egalitarian platform. Having grown up in a pre-internet age where knowledge and information were often commodities zealously hoarded by a few and tedious to acquire by the majority; the easy sharing of thoughts, ideas and information that occurs via such a medium as blogging speaks to me on a deep level.
4. List your top 5 favorite/most inspiring blogs.
The Art of Simple (formerly Simple Mom)- dedicated to simple living. Tsh’s philosophy on life appeals to me on many levels.
Zen Habits– another great blog about simplicity and zen living.
Brain Pickings– a treasure trove of informative and analytical essays.
Electrostani– another great collection of essays, especially of interest to the Indian diaspora.
Jacket2– offers commentary on modern and contemporary poetry and poetics. I found out about this blog fairly recently and am excited to discover more of it.
5. How has being a blogger changed your worldview?
I am new at blogging and as I discover more about this community, I continue to be amazed by it. The blogs that I admire affirm my worldview of the need to be true to oneself and to have a strong work ethic.
I hope that this endeavor will help me refine my writing voice whilst sharing my thoughts and my work.
6. Name the essential ingredients of a good blog according to you.
A genuine point of view, information-sharing and giving attributions/ credit where due.
7. How do you motivate yourself to blog regularly?
Setting up a rough schedule of posting a blogpost weekly and frequently sharing interesting links, websites etc. on my Facebook blog page.
8. What is the scariest experience you had as a blogger?
Thankfully nothing scary so far, but there is a learning curve to this process.
9. Which songs do you like listening to when you are working on a blog post?
Whichever is playing on the radio!
10. How would you explain what blogging is to someone who has never heard about it?
A platform to share information, thoughts and ideas, state opinions, share one’s work – maybe like an open journal.
11. You message/tip/recommendation to all the new and hopeful bloggers out there.
Go for it !
My blog nominations for paying it forward –
Here is my variation of the list of questions :
1. What got you started with blogging?
2. How did you pick your blog’s name?
3. Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
4. What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
5. What is your biggest challenge when it comes to blogging?
6. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
7. What are some of your favorite websites/ blogs ?
8. What according to you makes a good blog?
9. What resources do you use to spread the word about your blog?
10. What has been the most significant learning experience of your blogging journey so far?
Note: Rules for the Liebster Award-
Thank the blogger who nominated you with a link back to his/ her blog.
Answer the 11 questions asked by the nominator.
Nominate 5 – 11 bloggers with under 500 followers.
Create 11 questions for the nominees.
Display the Liebster Award logo on your page.
List these 6 rules on your post.